July 17, 2005

Harry Potter in Tunisia?

So, I hear from my contacts in the Western world that the latest Harry Potter book is out. This monumental event in the English-speaking world appears not to have been noticed in Tunisia.

I was in the biggest book store in Tunisia recently, creatively titled Al-Kitaab ("The Book"), and noticed they had the last five books in the series available... in French.

I enquired whether there was any possibility that they would be receiving Book 6 in English sometime this summer (on the theory that if the French translation is released later than the English one, there will be a market for the English book even in Tunisia).

The clerk gave me a typically Tunisian reply: "Insh'allah" ... literally, "God willing." Rough translation, "maybe, maybe not."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home