August 01, 2005

Turkish Food

So, today my new friends at the dorm took me to eat at the Turkish restaurant, as promised.

I was really, really looking forward to this because for about a month now, my diet has consisted of a pretty limited regime of Tunisian dishes---couscous, sausage, rotisserie chicken, shwarma meat, eggs, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, French fries, and bread---with the occasional exception. I had never been to a Turkish restaurant before, and was excited about that, and, as previously mentioned, ready for anything different!

As it turned out, I really can’t tell the difference between Turkish food and Tunisian food. Both seem to involve lots of meat roasted on a rotating spit, tomatoes, onions, cucumber, and French fries! So, on the food level it was something of a bust, but at least the company was good.

I learned a lot about Istanbul. According to Rajeb, the five most beautiful cities of the world are Paris, London, New York, Tokyo, and Istanbul. Now, that sort of sounds to me like a list a Turk put together, but I had no idea it was such a major city. It has more people than New York! And it does sound quite interesting, the center of an awful lot of history and amazing architecture. I’d love to visit it sometime.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home